This chicken enchilada soup is such a great Fall soup. It is perfect for those chilly rainy days when all you want is something warm and filling.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
This is my husband’s favorite soup that I make. He could eat it all the time. I am pretty sure at one point last year, it seemed like he made me make it 3x a week for a month. He was obsessed.
I love a soup that just makes you feel warm, has a little kick with so much flavor and this soup has it all. It is not too thick and not too thin (I really do not like thin soup!) but has the perfect consistency.
It is super easy to make and cooks in only about 45 minutes and makes enough for the whole family! (This also is so good reheated on the stove!)
We used to love getting the Chicken Enchilada Soup from Chili’s but after a little while, we decided to try making our own version and man oh man, was it a huge success (after many fails!) and we couldn’t be happier with our Better Than Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup!
The first couple times we tried making our own, it just never really tasted quite right. We love cooking together and loved having these trial and errors times together and then sometime last Fall, we whipped this bad-boy up and instantly knew we had a winner!
I have made it with a variety of chicken (rotisserie, fresh breast, canned, frozen breast, frozen diced) and every way has been so good! You don’t need to run out to grab a certain type of chicken, just use whatever you have on hand.
I love adding a tiny bit of Monterey Jack cheese on top with some tortilla strips, pico de gallo, fresh jalapeno and a spoon of sour cream but you can top it with whatever your heart desires.
The spiciness can be adjusted to your preference. My husband and I love everything with a good (or a ton!) amount of heat. We add the Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning blend to practically every dish that we make. It is so good!
Better Than Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
– 3 chicken breasts (cut into cubs)
– 2 tsp minced garlic
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 2-3 TBSP Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp chili powder (I also love using Mexican Chili Powder. It has amazing flavor!)
– 1/2 tsp cumin
– 1/2 tsp black pepper
– 2 14.5oz cans of chicken broth
– 3 cups warm water (divided)
– 1 can mild or hot red enchilada sauce
– 3/4 cup masa flour
– 16oz Velveeta cheese (cubed)
– Garnish: Sour Cream, Pico De Gallo, Fresh Jalapeno, Corn Tortilla Strips, Monterey Jack cheese, etc.
1. In a large pot, cook the cubed chicken. Once cooked, put in a bowl to the side
2. In the same pot add the garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add chicken broth.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the masa flour and 2 cups of the warm water until well blended and no lumps. Add to the pot.
4. Add in the remaining water, Velveeta cheese, enchilada sauce, and all of the seasonings to the pot mixture and whisk until well blended and cheese is melted. Bring to a boil.
5. Add cubed chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes. Occasionally scraping down the sides and bottom.
6. Remove from heat and garnish with any desired toppings
How to store leftover soup: This can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just forgo putting the garnish on until it has been reheated and ready to eat 🙂
This soup is so delicious reheated too! We love eating it for a few days after we cooked it. It becomes the best lunch option because it reheats so quickly and is so tasty! My hubby loves this as a second day meal and will request it as his lunch for work until it is gone. It is that good!
Want another great chicken meal? Try my Jalapeno Popper Chicken. It is SERIOUSLY mouth-watering delicious!